Here’s where I get on my soap box and start rambling. I don’t buy corn tortilla chips at the store unless they are organic and Non-GMO (Non-genetically modified). I like to know my food is indeed unmodified, the way nature intended it. The majority of corn on the market and corn additives in processed foods are genetically modified and there aren’t laws regulating whether the company is required to tell the consumer if the product is or is not GMO. As a consumer, I like to be in the know as to if I’m eating franken-food or not. There are times when for whatever reason, I just cannot make it to the select stores that do have Non-GMO corn tortilla chips; so, on those days I go down to my local grocery store and pick up the only package of organic/non-gmo corn tortillas they have and bring them home to make my own freshly baked chips in my trusty oven. Okay, now that I’ve hopped down off my soap box, here’s how simple making corn tortilla chips is…
- 10 Organic/Non-GMO corn tortillas (I like Non-GMO project verified brands the best)
- 1 tsp Himalayan sea salt (or any salt you care for will do)
- ⅛ cup Organic, cold pressed, unfiltered extra virgin olive oil
- Cut round corn tortillas into either quarters or sixths depending on size of tortillas. You want them to ultimately come out looking like cute little triangles.
- In a bowl combine corn tortilla triangles, salt and olive oil. Toss until tortilla triangles are completely coated.
- Place on cookie sheet. You may need more than one cookie sheet. Make sure all triangles are spread out on sheet in single layer.
- Place in oven on broil. Cook for 3-4 minutes on one side. Remove from oven. Turn triangles over to other side. Put back in oven and cook for additional 3-4 minutes. The goal is to get a golden brown crunch to each side. From my experience, it is a good idea whenever broiling anything to stay close to the oven. Food quickly can escalate from golden to burnt in a matter of seconds. This will help avoid any oven mishaps. This has been your public service announcement for today:) Thank you for listening! Now , go on with your rad self and enjoy these crunchy chips!